homeour storymy baglink loveContact me

✍ All sorts of new and exciting things coming up for the cast of L to the Third so stay tuned!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The mystery of the abandoned farm house


Because I don't have to enough to think about right now, I've decided to try and figure out this abandoned stone farm house located about 4 miles from where I grew up in Western Pennsylvania. Over the years, I drove past this place every time I went home to visit my family and watched it slowly morph from a charming, albeit a bit tattered, home into the sad state now before you. On my most recent trip home this past weekend, I turned my mom into an accomplice and we went exploring since it was now very obvious that the house had been abandoned. We drove up and poked around for a bit, exploring the now-derelict site. I took a bunch of pictures and then came back home to Virginia and started digging through some books to see if I could identify a bit more about the architecture and time line of the house. What I'd like to do is figure out the family who originally built it and see if I can get it documented for posterity's sake by some sort of Historic Architecture and Building Survey before the whole thing falls prey to the elements. Should be fun!

5 comments:

Phil Mark, Director of Preservation said...

Only if you had friends who did this kinda stuff for a living...

L. said...

Good point...hmm, anyone feel like volunteering? Bueller........Bueller?

Christine said...

Um - and I work with HABS folks - a big happy National Park Service family. I'll shoot an email off to one of my HABS connections...

M said...

Believe it or not, I think I've been by this house before. Or maybe I'm just thinking of all the other derelict stone houses in Washington County!

L. said...

Hooray for group effort!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...