homeour storymy baglink loveContact me

✍ All sorts of new and exciting things coming up for the cast of L to the Third so stay tuned!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Sisterhood of the Traveling BDUs

I heard this feature on NPR on the drive home tonight and thought the story was worth pointing out. I really admire what these two young women are attempting to accomplish; while I was never a military kid, I am a relatively recent military spouse with a husband currently in in the sandbox with the National Guard. I don't live on a military base, and most of the members of the unit that my husband is serving with are scattered all over the state, so I empathize with what Moranda and Kaylei went through while their fathers were deployed. I can only imagine what the experience must be like when you're a young adult and to feel completely abandoned by your peers because they don't know how to handle your parent's deployment.

I've been very fortunate in that I have a lot of friends who live in the area that act as my support group, so I've been able to make it through this deployment relatively unscathed; and while I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a part of a close-knit group of other military spouses, I wouldn't trade this past year's experience with anyone. So if I haven't said it recently, I want to send a giant thank you to all of my friends. I couldn't have made it this past year without you all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...